“My parents instilled in me at a young age that there is no substitute for hard work and preparation. This is the core philosophy that I have applied to my practice and what has driven me to work tirelessly protecting the interest of hospital systems, medical contractors and individual health care providers. Entrusted by my clients with their most difficult legal problems, I work efficiently and effectively to advocate on my clients' behalf with over two decades of experience defending medical providers in malpractice claims and working closely to advise risk managers and in-house counsel on the many legal issues which arise delivering health care.”
Gina Marie Smith joined MRR in February 1994. Gina has spent her entire career representing the interest of hospital systems, medical contractors, individual health care providers and business entities in matters of simple and complex litigation.
After receiving her undergraduate degree from Rutgers University in 1990, Gina then obtained her Juris Doctor (J.D.) from Georgetown University Law Center graduating in 1993. In 2009, Gina was recognized as a “Top Women Business Leader” by Gazette Magazine.
Gina is a member of the Maryland – DC Society for Healthcare Risk Management. Gina has served as Key Note Speaker for the American Case Management Association, Maryland Chapter on the topic of guardianship law as it relates to effecting difficult hospital discharges and for Maryland’s Continuing Medical Education Program on concepts of medical family law as it relates to minors, incompetents, surrogate decision makers, guardians and medical ethics on end of life issues.
In addition to the personal attention given to each of her clients, Gina has also lent her time and talents to the community in which she resides and works. Gina sits on the Boards of Prince George’s Hospital Center and Prince George’s Hospital Center Foundation. Gina is also an active member of the J. Franklyn Bourne Bar Association serving on its Judicial Nominating Committee. In 2000 Gina was appointed by Governor Parris Glendening to serve as a State Commissioner for the State of Maryland Board of Docking Masters.
Away from the office, Gina enjoys spending time with her family and beloved dog Zoe. Gina is also an avid traveler and workout enthusiast.
Areas of Practice
- Maryland, 1993
- U.S. District Court, District of Maryland, 1994
- U.S. Court of Appeals, 4th Circuit, 1995
- District of Columbia, 1996
- U.S. District Court, District of Columbia, 1998
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the District of Columbia, 2003
- Rutgers University (Douglass College) (B.A., 1990)
- Georgetown University Law Center (J.D., 1993)
Boards and Organizations
- Board of Directors, Prince George's Hospital Center 2014 - Present
- Board of Directors, Prince George's Hospital Center Foundation 2002-Present,
- Secretary, 2007 – Present
- Secretary, J. Franklyn Bourne Bar Association 1998, Judicial Nominating Committee, 2007-Present; Scholarship Committee, 2006-2007
- Member, Maryland Society for Healthcare Risk Management, 2004 – Present
- Member: Maryland State, District of Columbia, Prince George's County, Montgomery County, J. Franklyn Bourne Bar Associations and Women's Bar Association of Maryland
- Commissioner, State of Maryland Board of Docking Masters 2000-04 appointed by Governor Parris Glendening
- Key Note Speaker, American Case Management Association, Maryland Chapter "Handling Difficult Hospital Discharges: A Legal Perspective", March 2011
- Key Note Speaker, Maryland Continuing Medical Education, "Concepts in Medical Family Law 101: Minors, Incompetents, Surrogacy, Guardianship Law and End of Life Issues", February 2012