Kayann became an Associate Attorney with MRR after passing the February 2016, Maryland State Bar Examination. Kayann focuses her practice on civil litigation and administrative law.
Kayann has always had a passion to work hands-on with clients and use her abilities to represent those without a voice. Prior to law school, Kayann earned her Master’s in Criminology from Florida State University. In graduate school she focused on an in-depth systematic evaluation of the effectiveness of criminal justice policies, as well as the discovery of the socio-cultural, economic and global certified roots of crime. She took this zealous passion to Florida A&M College of Law where she served as a legal clerk for the Office of the Federal Public Defender for the Middle District of Florida. She was attracted to defense litigation because it involved representing indigent members of our society. She was in the courtroom on a daily basis and loved the role of courtroom advocacy.
Kayann’s legal experiences provides her with broad exposure in the legal field and with transferable skills that apply equally to civil private practice. She was a legal intern with the Department of Justice, Office of General Counsel’s Office and the Department of Commerce- NOAA region. She was also a legal clerk for the Orange County Public Schools, Office of Legal Services focusing on the areas of land use, inter-governmental relations, administrative law, and labor and employment law. These experiences in the public sector were extremely rewarding by allowing her to expand her commitment to civic service and developed her skills as an advocate.
In law school Kayann served as a research and editing assistant for two published books - Climate Change Impacts on Ocean and Coastal Law: U.S. and International and Climate Change and Indigenous People: The Search for legal Remedies.
Away from the office, Kayann volunteer with nonprofit organizations that mentor inner city youth; is a fitness enthusiast who actively participate in local running events and enjoy spending time with her loved ones.
Areas of Practice
- Personal Injury
- Medical Malpractice
- General Litigation
- Land Use Zoning and Planning Development
- Alcoholic Beverage License law
- Florida A&M University College of Law, J.D. (2015)
- Florida State University, M.S. in Criminology (2011)
- Florida State University, B.S. in Criminology and Sociology (2010)
- Member: J. Franklyn Bourne Bar Associations
- Member: Women's Bar Association of Maryland
- Member: Maryland State Bar Association:
- Member: Prince George's County Bar Association
- Member: National Bar Association
- Member: Greater Washington Area Chapter Women Lawyers Division National Bar Association